Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

San Gorgonio

Backpacking the San Gorgonio Wilderness
Backpacking is not a hobby for the faint of heart, and backpacking in the mountains, even more so.  In the last few days, I had the experience of taking my first backpacking trip: into the heart of the San Gorgonio Wilderness.  This post will be differant than most in that it will give detailed information about my journey in the forest.    
Day 1:  Monday, August 27th, 2012   
6:20 am PST:  What! my alarm did not go off at 6!  I guess I forgot to turn it on.  My sister wakes me up, tells me the big day is here.  











6:45am: Begin putting in final things into pack, like water and food. 
7:10 am: Mom begins cooking breakfast for us. 
7:30 am: We eat a hearty meal of Spam, eggs, juice, fruit, milk, and bread.   
8:20 am: Say our morning prayers together, and pray for a safe journey. 
8:34 am: Leave Home
8:38 am: Drive back home, we left our walkie-talkies! 
8:46 am: Re-leave home. 
10:06 am: Arrive at South Fork Trailhead in the San Bernardino National Forest, only about four cars in the enormous parking lot ,  guess hiking on a weekday cuts down on crowds!    Our friends who will be hiking with us arrive. 
10:46 am: Leave the trailhead (6,880), and begin our hike .  Sunny skies, not a cloud, with a small breeze, and a temperature at around 70F. 
11:30 am: Arrive at Horse Meadows (7,300'), 1.5 miles from the start.
12:30 pm: Arrive at Poop-out Hill (7,740'), 2.4 miles for the start. 
1:05 pm: I begin charging off  about 1000' in front of my group alone, and hear some rustling in the bushes, I look and I see something running towards me.  What is it?   A BLACK BEAR CUB!   Wow! what a treat, but I stand almost paralyzed with the mantra ringing in my head: "Were the baby is, the mother will be close by."  I walkie-talkie our group leader:
"We have bear sighting, repeat, we have a bear sighting, over"  
 He responds, " Are you safe?"  
I respond, " I think so, it was a baby cub, and I afraid the mother is close by."
He says: "Ok, why don't you slowly start making it back over towards our group?"  
"Ok",  I say. 
I made it back to the group in one piece :-)  
2:02 pm: We make it to South Fork Meadows (8,200'), 4.5 miles from the start with a 1,500' gain.  All six of us begin eating our lunches. 
3:11 pm: after a long break and lunch, we begin our charge up the steep mountain side towards Dry Lake, and part of the hike all are not looking forward to.  (FYI: This was everyones 2nd time on this trail)
5:50 pm:  Dry Lake! (9,079')  7 miles from start and 2,300' of gain.   Mostly a marsh, nothing like last year, but I have seen much, much drier pictures of this little lake.  Boy, the 20 mallards are sure having fun!   No frogs seen today. 
5:55 pm: Arrive at Dry Lake Camp, only about 8 campers, them plus 2 other coming down near South Fork Meadows, make only 10 people seen all day.    We attempt to collect water at Lodgepole Spring, for our summit climb tomorrow morning, but we have trouble locating the spring, and after 20 minutes of searching, I ask the campers where they get their water.  They showed us the correct way to Lodgepole Spring. 
6:30 pm:  {Mass at St. Peter Chanel, my parish is starting :-) }  We begin collecting water from the small stream, fed by Lodgepole spring.  Our friends have two water filtration pumps, and we are using those and some tablets. 
7:00 pm: Finish collecting water, and begin hiking up the trail towards out destination: Trail Flats Campground.  We worry about hiking in the dark.  We figure we have about one hour of usable daylight left, but with 1.5 miles, a 600' gain, our backpacks filled with tomorrow's water (For me about 240 oz., others had more), this altitude, and empty stomachs, we know we will be walking in the blackness. 
8:00 pm: A beautiful sunset at 9,350' in a classic sub-alpine region, in front of San Gorgonio Mountain, Jepson Peak, and Charlton  and Little Charlton peaks.    Hikers (except me foolishly), put on sweaters, and zip up pant bottoms to cover legs.  Temperature is brisk at around 64 F, maybe as low at 60F.    Winds calm. 
8:30 pm.  Pitch black sky, only people since Dry Lake, winds are dead,  and the bouldery trail steepens as we bench 9,450'.  Our headlights and flashlights are on.  We check the map to see how much further we have to go.  
9:10pm: Fatigued, and starved, we reach Trail Flats Campground at 9,600', 9 miles from the start and 2,900' of elevation gain.   We are the only campers there, a little scary....   
Weather:  Calm winds, 58F.   I put on connections on my shortsto make pants, and put on my only other layer, and light flanal button-up. 
9: 15 pm: We start setting up our campsite on the sandy ground, after that we prepare our dinner.... a cold baguette, bacon, Cup Noodles (Our friends donated boiling water for us, we had no camp stove), and some cheese.   At this point, some are so hungry, they are not even hungry anymore, just nauseous and tired.   One or two mechanically eat, forcing food into thier mouth.   
10:06 pm:  We hit the hay at Trail Flats.  Or should I say sand.   We say our night-time prayers together, and try to sleep The begining of a long night.....    
Winds up to 5 MPH, with a brisk temp at maybe 52F. 
10:45-11:20 pm:  I am in a bivy sack which is only 8 oz heavy, (not a sleeping bag), and I turn over on my side and notice a chill in my leg.  So, I turn onto my back, and immediatly the chill is sent throughout my body, and my entire body begins shaking uncontrolably.  My teeth are chatering, at I feel colder than I ever have, as well as feeling very nasuoues, and thirsty.    It is hard to say things at one time.  I wake my dad, and he gives me one of his jackets.   My younger sister goes to wake our hiking leader.  He rushes over to see what the comotion is all about.  He gives me some encouraging words, and is an indespensibale help!!!!   Thank you God for this man!  I layer up, take a sleeping bag liner, and open a space blanket to cover meself, and my family is praying for me.  I start feeling better.   
Day 2:  Tuesday, August 28th, 2012
1:10 am:  The man, who is sleeping outside of a tent, give up his tarp to put over our tent, to retain our body heat, since we left our rainfly at home. I thank him and I try to get some rest.  Consequently, this man must now sleep in another tent, cramed in, since he gav up this tarp to put between the cold ground and his sleeping bag.    I say to him, " We have long way until morning huh?",  He say, "Yes"
4:20 am:  After almost no sleep whatsoever during the past few hours, I suddenly become extremly nauseated, and I leave the fragile warmpth of my tent and sleeping system, to walk around in the dark forest.   Wow!   the start are great, and the Almost full moon, is and extra gift from God.  I notice a small change in the temperatue, it seems a bit warmer, we attribute this benefit to Our Lady.   As I try to feel better outside my sleepless family prays the Chaplet of Divine Mercy for me.  I feel better.
4:30 am:  I finally fall asleep. 
5: 30 am: I awaken to see some purple light outside.
5:45 am:  Sky is brighter, I yearn to go outside, out of this carmped tent, but I restrain myself due to the cold tempatures. 
6:04 am: I muster enough courage to go outside, and find it cold, but do-able.  Our hike-leader wakes up the rest of the camp.
6: 15 am: Our food is taken down from the bear bag in the Lodgepole Pine. 
7:00 am:  We discuss the plans for the day.   After carful consideration, we agree, summiting San Gorgonio Mountain is too much for us, and we plan coming back next year, adding an extra night.  
7:20 am:  My family's campsite is taken down, and we pull out our gross breakfast hard energy bars and some bacon.
8:55 am: We begin our morning prayers, the readings, and daily meditation.  
9:05 am: Proceed out of our campsite.  Few clouds, light winds. temp: high 50's/low 60's
10:00 am: Reach Dry Lake.  Only one frog to catch. We took our time, since we are now in no rush, and we had some first aid issues.   It was lots of fun!  
10:45 am:  Start the Dry Lake swtichbacks deown to South Fork Meadows.   30% thundercloud cover
11:30 am: Reach South Fork Meadows, and set up for lunch, for my family, a bagel, bacon, and cheese.  We spend our time eating, talking and exploring the river, then on of us gets terrible altitude sickness.  Tempature: 65 F with 50% cloud cover
12:45 pm: We leave the meadows and Santa Ana River, and proceed at a very slow pace for our sick friend.  
3:00 pm, reach Poop-out Hill, to take a break, and notice the wind is a bit stonger, and the sky is nearly all gray. 
3:05 pm:  With gray skies, a light monsoon sprinkle falls on us for about 20 minutes.  A nice suprise! 
3:40 pm: My sister and I reach the Trailhead.  Tempature: 65 F, 90% cloud cover.   The sprinkles are over.n  Take video of a Woodpecker. 
3:53 pm: Get in car and drive down the mountain to eat at Sizzler in Redlands with our freinds.   Tempature change?  110F and humid in Redlands!!       
6:30 pm: Get home. 
Total stats:
Miles: 18
Elevation Gain: 2,800' 
Highest Point reached: 9620' (Trail Flats Campground) 
Number of people in group: 6
All in all, an amazing sampler of backpacking in Southern California!   I certainly learned many lessons, such as to bring a rainfly, a sleeping bag, a portable stove, more clothing, and more inportantly, to rely on God and prayer more, instead of myself and my strength, to get me through tough times.    
 We have already planed out next year's trip:   Day 1 to Trail Flats, Day 2 to summit and back to sleep, and Day 3 Trail Flats down to trailhead.         
Thanks to Almighty God for all the goodness he bears through his mighty hands, his comfort, and the people he sends in our lives as friends. Blessed be God Forever!    Holy Mary, Mother of God, Pray for us!   Saint Monica, Saint Augustine, Blessed Junipero Serra, and Blessed John Paul II, Pray for us!!! 
This was a hike I shall certainly never forget.         

No comments:

Post a Comment